Is it worth using Instagram for B2B industrial marketing?
Companies in the industrial sector focused on B2B are often reluctant to the Instagram’s hype but they could be missing a great opportunity to generate value
Bearing in mind the typology of products and services, in addition to the sometimes extensive purchasing processes with B2B customers from anywhere in the world, it is logical to understand why a great number of companies can be skeptical about the use and benefits that can grant the use of an absolutely visual social network focused on the general public such as Instagram.
Any company that operates in the industrial sector continues to share the same objectives of digital marketing as a company focused on B2C; generate traffic to the landing page designed for such use, build customer loyalty and, ultimately, increase the sells. While it is true that these goals are usually attainable through a social network more specialized in B2B industrial marketing such as LinkedIn and another one such as Facebook that is still the most popular worldwide, other social networks such as Instagram are a great tool to generate valuable content and therefore attract traffic to our website.
Is Instagram a suitable tool for industrial marketing?
According to a Pew Research study, 32% of adults use Instagram compared to 29% who have a LinkedIn account. What's more, 51% of these Instagram users use the platform on a daily basis, unlike LinkedIn users that are reduced to 18%. To accompany this data, another study by Millward Brown Digital indicates that 50% of purchasing decisions in the B2B sector are made by professionals between 18 and 34 years of age, belonging to the millennial generation and accustomed to browsing social networks on a daily basis and at any time.
All this indicates that nowadays more than ever business decisions are highly influenced by digital marketing and more specifically by social networks. Instagram, without forgetting the relevance of other networks already mentioned such as LinkedIn and Facebook, is a tremendous visual tool to communicate the differential value of our company and show potential customers technical details of products and services in a more visually attractive way, as well as day-to-day activities of the company.
How to create a strategy on Instagram for B2B?
Once we are aware of the power that this social network can have over our industrial digital marketing strategy, it is time to design a strategy according to the particular operation of this tool, since it currently differs from other social networks most used in B2B.
The first step in defining a strategy on Instagram is to define the main goal that you want to achieve. Taking into account the nature of this social network, it is most appropriate to consider Instagram as a tool that helps us in the generation of branding and brand awareness through the generation of content of value for customers and potentials. However, it is essential at the same time to review the secondary objectives of our Instagram strategy on a recurring basis so as not to bombard users with the same message. In this way, it will be possible to retain users through news about the course of the company, communicating news about the sector, innovation processes in which the company is working or other content that is interesting enough to generate value for the audience.
Tips to start using Instagram in a B2B industrial business
If you have finally decided to start implementing Instagram in the digital marketing strategy as a company in the industrial sector, it is time to create a business profile in this social network and use the most appropriate practices to publish quality content. You can follow the following steps to establish an Instagram business account:
- Download the Instagram mobile app. Although you can also check Instagram on your computer, this social network is designed to be used with your mobile.
- Use an email address to create an account. There is the possibility of connecting your new Instagram account with Facebook if you are already using it.
- Complete the profile on Instagram. Choose a username that includes the name of the company, establish a profile picture and specify the full name of the business to complete the profile information.
- Add complementary information to your profile. You can indicate a link to your website, a telephone number and even the sector in which the company operates.
- Follow the relevant actors in your sector. Do not hesitate to follow both customers and competitors and leaders of the sector so that your company is positioned by the algorithm of this social network.
- Generate value content. Share content according to the objectives set and always respond to comments.
- Differentiate yourself with Instagram Stories. Stories allow you to share short videos that your followers can see and generate a strong visual impact. Take the opportunity to share small daily secrets to publicize how your company works.
- Monitor your content. Control the results of your publications to know details that will allow you to improve.
At BCM Marketing we design a tailored strategy on Instagram and other social networks for B2B industrial companies.
Ask us for a no obligation quote, at BCM Marketing we advise you on everything you need.