Display advertising: everything you need to know
In addition to the Google search ads that appear when a user does a search related to our products, advertising on the display network is another of the most effective Google advertising programs.
Display ads are those that appear as a banner, video or text on the websites that are part of Google's AdSense program: millions of blogs, digital magazines, or personal pages, which reserve advertising space for Google in their content.
It is estimated that through them we can reach 3 out of every four internet users. Users who are in different phases of the purchase process. For this reason, display ads are a fantastic tool throughout the entire funnel. Google's Display Network offers the best coverage compared to other online advertising platforms.
When do we run a display marketing campaign
We will use a display ad campaign when:
- We have strategic objectives focused on branding, brand visibility and awareness.
- New products or services are launched.
- We need to use more creative ads, including images or video, to make advertising more attractive.
- We sell products with a long purchasing process, as is the case with industrial and B2B companies.
- We want to reach people who are not actively looking for us but we know they have a pain point that we can solve.
Objectives of a display campaign
The Google Display Network allows you to choose between different marketing objectives, to which each campaign is adjusted:
- Sales opportunity
- Traffic to the website
- Brand and product consideration
- Brand awareness and coverage
Segmentation filters for display advertising
To define the target of our display campaign, Google offers a series of segmentation filters that can be combined with each other:
- Keywords: Google Ads will search for websites that include your keywords, as well as audiences interested in them.
- Locations: You can choose the websites and sections of the websites where you want your ad to appear.
- Themes: These are used so that your ads are published on sites that deal with themes that are the same, similar or related to your brand or product.
- Personalised audiences: combining the interests of your target and the websites they visit, you can introduce up to ten traits that characterise your buyer persona to ensure maximum precision and maximise the chances of getting conversions.
- Remarketing: This consists of delivering a new advertising impact to users who have previously visited your website but have not converted, a segment with great potential value since they are at a later stage in the buyer's journey. The personalisation of these campaigns can reach very high levels: showing a product that they have visited or even reminding the user that they have left a shopping basket abandoned in your ecommerce site. At BCM Marketing we always recommend remarketing campaigns for their very affordable costs and high visibility.
- Demographic data: geographical segmentation, by age and language to adapt your message as much as possible to the user's interests. It is practically an essential type of segmentation in all display marketing campaigns.
Finally, another form of segmentation is exclusions, with which you can specify what keywords, locations, interests, remarketing users or demographic characteristics you want to avoid in your campaign.
Banners Made Easy: Customisable Ads
Google Display Network offers a wide variety of formats and sizes for ads. It is a tremendous effort to design a specific creative for each of the banner typologies. The good news is that you can skip this part thanks to customisable ads.
With this functionality, you only have to upload photos and texts in different sizes and lengths, and Google will take care of combining them with each other to adapt them to each space in which your display advertising appears.
Are you thinking of starting a display ad campaign for your business? If you feel overwhelmed by the number of options that Google Ads offers and you want to make sure you don't waste your investment, contact us and we will design a campaign tailored to your budget and needs.